I was in a minor car accident yesterday - I was rear-ended by a college kid who was texting and driving (and tailgating and generally acting like an irresponsible loon). I dropped my car off at the auto body shop today and picked up a rental car, then began the laborious process of installing the kids’ monster space-rocket-sized Britax booster chairs into that rental car.
Seriously, they weigh like 100 pounds each or something.
It was about thirty seconds into this process that I realized how utterly disgusting their car seats are. Possibly they should be classified as biohazards. The combination of goldfish crackers, spilled apple juice, snow cone drippings, and Trader Joe’s Strawberry Snack Bars all somehow managed to combine into the most horrifying sticky ooey foul-smelling substance known to mankind. I honestly debated whether they were salvageable or whether they should be thrown directly into a landfill.
Of course, they cost about $300 each so I decided they should be saved. TWO HOURS LATER I have laundered the fabric covers and painstakingly handwashed the frames to remove 97% of the ooze. The other 3% is a permanent feature, I think, but at least I got the smell out.
Parenting is so ultra-glamorous.